The IT Professionals Forum
The IT Pro Forum is a group based in Eugene, Oregon dedicated to helping people from all walks of the IT life to connect. We hope to bring people together with others in their local community to share successes, horror stories, vent, and hopefully learn something.
We have email lists you can join:
- announce -- Low volume moderated list for group announcements.
- discuss -- General discussion, Q&A, and technical support. Must be a member of the list to post.
Click either of the above links and put the word "subscribe" in the message body to subscribe. Or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "subscribe announce" and/or "subscribe discuss" on separate lines in the message body to subscribe to one or both lists.
Schedule of meetings
Meetings are the THIRD TUESDAY of every month and are currently held downstairs at the Eugene City Brewery in downtown Eugene. Meetings begin promptly at 6:30pm, with plenty of social/networking time before and after the meeting. Here is our current schedule of upcoming meetings:
- September: TBD, possibly you?
- August: Social Meeting At CodeChops
Click on the links below to see the talk notes and/or slides.
- January 17, 2012 -- Dana Maher - Location Aware Programming with Android
- February 21, 2012 -- Hal Pomeranz, A Quick Intro to Reverse Engineering Malware
- March 20, 2012 -- Craig Gray on ITIL
- December 20, 2011 -- Holiday Social Meeting
- November 15, 2011 -- Dana Maher - Location Aware Programming with iOS
- October 18, 2011 -- The CycleLane Project
- September 20, 2011 -- Kevin Keenan on Security Scorecards, Threat Scenarios, and Risk Modeling
- August 16, 2011 -- Lightning Talks / Social Meeting
- July 19, 2011 -- James Bailey on Information Accessibility
- June 21, 2011 -- Joe St Sauver presenting "Physical Security: A Crucial (But Often Neglected) Part of Cybersecurity"
- May 17th, 2011 -- Horst Lueck on Amazon Web Services (AWS) with focus on EC2 and S3
- April 19th, 2011 -- Lacey Powers on "PostgreSQL Performance Tuning"
- March 15th, 2011 -- Matt Jarvis with "Real World GIS"
- February 15th, 2011 -- Luke Kanies on Puppet
- January 18th, 2011 -- Larry Price & "The Cook's Tour of PostGIS"
- December 21st, 2010 -- Holiday Social Meeting
- November 16th, 2010 -- Jeff Haemer on Using Software Toilet Plungers
- October 19th, 2010 -- Lance Albertson on Virtualization Management at the OSU OSL
- September 21st, 2010 -- John Abbe on The Power of Naming
- August 17th, 2010 -- Lightning Talks!
- July 20th, 2010 -- John Labovitz and his amazing Housetruck
- June 15th, 2010 -- John Sechrest on Startups and Investing
- May 18th, 2010 -- Quentin Hartman on An Introduction to Lua
- Apr 20th, 2010 -- Hal Pomeranz on Zeus Botnets and Financial Crime
- Mar 16th, 2010 -- Linda Ballas on Application Lifecycle Management
- Feb 16th, 2010 -- Mike Simon on Lessons for Computer Security Professionals from Anthropologists
- Jan 19th, 2010 -- Dave Klindt on Upcoming Trends for Local ISPs
- Dec 15th, 2009 -- Holiday Social Meeting
- Nov 17th, 2009 -- Shannon Dealy on IT on the Road
- Oct 20th, 2009 -- Keith Lofstrom on Server Sky
- Sep 15th, 2009 -- Dawn Foster on Yahoo Pipes
- Aug 17th, 2009 -- Lightning Talks
- Jul 21st, 2009 -- John Abbe on Geeks and Culture Shift
- Jun 16th, 2009 -- Hal Pomeranz on Web App Testing with Selenium
- May 19th, 2009 -- Esteban Gutierrez and Toby Kohlenberg on Emerging Trends in Information Security
- Apr 21st, 2009 -- Colleen Dick on Building Your Rep (aka The "M" Word for IT Professionals)
- Mar 17th, 2009 -- Quentin Hartman on Subversion
- Feb 17th, 2009 -- Hal Pomeranz on Integrating iPhones with (Mostly) Open Source Infrastructure
- Jan 20th, 2009 -- Lorraine Kerwood on Computer Disposal/Recycling Regulations
- Dec 16th, 2008 -- Holiday Social Meeting
- Nov 18th, 2008 -- Lark Wadsworth on Sharepoint
- Oct 21st, 2008 -- Kevin Kenan on Database Encryption
- Sep 16th, 2008 -- Mike Poor, "Corporate Espionage: Defending Against Targeted Attacks"
- Aug 19th, 2008 -- Lightning Talks
- Jul 15th, 2008 -- Quentin Hartman on Untangle
- Jun 17th, 2008 -- Rick McLeod on Software Patents and Other IP Issues
- May 20th, 2008 -- Toby Person on Clonezilla
- Apr 15th, 2008 -- John Abbe on Wagn
- Mar 18th, 2008 -- Special Agent Timothy Suttles on Cyber Crimes and Internet Threats
- Feb 19th, 2008 -- Mike Miller on Network Management Systems
- Jan 15th, 2008 -- Larry Price on Web Application Security
- Dec 18th, 2007 -- Holiday Social Meeting
- Nov 20th, 2007 -- Mike Owen demos the ASUS EEE PC
- Oct 16th, 2007 -- Gene Kim on Characteristics of High Performing IT Organizations
- Sept 18th, 2007 -- Keith Lofstrom on Dirvish
- August 21, 2007 -- Lightning Talks About Your Favorite Hacks (talk notes from Toby, Bob, Hal, and Horst)
- July 17, 2007 -- John Sechrest on Drupal
- June 19, 2007 -- Randal Schwartz on git
- May 15, 2007 -- Matt Jarvis and Selena Deckelmann on Database Back Ends
- April 17, 2007 -- Quentin Hartman on Server Virtualization with free VMware products
- March 20, 2007 -- Hal Pomeranz on Wireless Security Basics